Here is a church birdhouse that I made for my sister a couple years ago. I used plywood and the same copper flashing that I used on the temple birdhouse. The shingle pattern was engraved using a nail and was quite tedious. She was very happy with the results. The bottom is removable for easy cleaning at the end of the year.
Here is the tower view. The steeple top was a challenge. I used a cardboard pattern to get all the angles right and the cross fit nice into the hole. This is a picture before the cross was glued in. The cross is a little crooked here but was not when fully inserted.
I used some wood letters that I got at the local craft store to add her last name to the side.